Bookmobile in the Park, Fridays – June 5 to July 31, 2pm: The Ashland Library bookmobile will be in the parks from 2-3pm on the following dates: Fire Company Nature Center: June 5, June 19, July 3, July 17. On the in-between dates, Ashland County Park District volunteers will have a short program. On June 12, the bookmobile will be at Byers Woods, and Kolleen Crall will do a hands-on activity about insects. On June 26, the bookmobile will be at Freer Field, and Kolleen Crall will take kids down to the creek to look for fossils. On July 10, the bookmobile will be at Audubon Wetlands Preserve, and Josh Hillis will bring a snake. On July 24, the bookmobile will be at Pine Hill Park, Sauers Farm, and Karen Leonetti will do a program with kids.
Family Nature Club, Third Saturdays, 1-2pm: Family Nature Club (FNC) will meet on June 20 at Freer Field, during Walk in the Park. Dr. Marnie Laymon, veterinarian, will discuss how to keep your pet safe from insects and other pests. Participants may take their pet for a walk in the park.
– July 18, FNC will meet at the baseball field in Polk.
– August 14, FNC will meet at the Sullivan Community Center, 500 US 224, Sullivan.
Art in the Park: Ashland County Art League will give instruction in nature art, 9-12, at the Fire Company Nature Cabin, the third Saturday of each month. Please see the following schedule:
– June 20, Nancy Pierce, Silk painting demo and workshop
– July 18, Dana Sherbourne & Deb Akers, Painting workshop
– August 15, Mary Anne Clady, Painting workshop
– September 19, Robin Roberts, Plein Air painting workshop
– October 17, Amanda Kiplinger, Nature photography workshop
Hikes: Birdwalks at Byers woods. ACPD and Greater Mohican Audubon Society host a Beginners Bird Walk on the fourth Saturday of every month, 9-11. Tim Leslie leads birders around Byers Woods, looking for residents and ever-changing migrants. All are welcome.